My First Figure Competition
I pulled the trigger! I’m currently preparing for my first figure competition in September!
Why did I choose to compete? I crave new and intense challenges. In every context, from academics to my career, I refuse to be complacent. I’m always on the hunt for a new way to push myself further than I could have the day, month or year before. It’s just engrained in my DNA. I’m extremely competitive with myself – while I don’t necessarily feel the need to be #1 in everything I do in relation to others, I have an insatiable hunger to evolve into a better, faster, smarter, stronger version of myself with each new conquest. I’ve been watching and admiring the competition realm with intrigue for a year now, and despite my hovering fears and doubts, I’m going for it! I want to give myself the gift of seeing what I can accomplish when I really commit 100% and push my body, mind and heart past every threshold of comfort and ability (Not to mention some badass fitness photos for SHESTRONG!)
For the next 13 weeks, I’ll chronicle every emotion, hunger, high and low I encounter from a raw, honest and unfiltered perspective. I can already express some of my fears:
- I’m “too broad” for bikini class yet “too small” for figure class – can I put on enough muscle in 13 weeks?
- How am I going to deal with the hunger? The fatigue? Lifting heavier and harder than I ever have?
- How will I stay focused at weddings and social events this summer? (i.e. no alcohol, no cake, no food outside of my plan!)
Because fears are naturally expected, I have an arsenal of tools to combat them:
- A killer support system from loved ones & friends, pushing me and reminding me of WHY I want this
- A motivating coach and competition team giving me all of the training, nutrition and posing resources I need
- My own unrelenting willpower
So here it is. The official “BEFORE” photo. No filter. No smoke and mirrors. Even a goofy mid-laugh smile at my husband while he took the photos this morning before work. Its just the plain old, real me. I’ll admit, posting these photos and stats makes me feel quite uneasy. However, I know all of you will appreciate their authenticity and vulnerability. Nobody wants to see perfection! And most importantly, I can’t wait to see this side-by-side with my photos 13 weeks from now!
- Height: 5’3″
- Weight: 126lbs
- Body fat: 15% (7 site caliper measure)
- Lean Mass in lbs: 107.1
- Body fat in lbs: 18.9